Batch 13: Oatmeal Stout
Previous Batch 
Brew Log 
 Next Batch


By Volume
Primary Secondary Bottles
1.057 1.020 4.8 % ? 5 days 17 days 14 days


rewed on Saturday, December 6th, 2003
This was my first time brewing with oats and was afraid of a stuck mash but everything worked out fine in the mash without any problems. I took some pictures during the brew day that can be found in my photo gallery. My primary fermenter for this batch is a 10 gallon Spartanburg Challenger 'VI' keg. I did not cut the end off the dip tube but used the plastic tip from a racking cane on the end. A piece of 5/16" ID and 7/16" OD vinyl tubing was used to secure the racking tip onto the end of the dip tube. Hopefully this will leave most of the trub behind. The airlock was put in the lid just like on the 5 gallon Cornelius secondary as described on the last batch. I forgot to measure the specific gravity of the mash runoff before adding the extract so I can't calculate my mash efficiency but I hit my OG right on. The following oatmeal stout recipe was adapted from a foreign extra stout that I have brewed in the past.

Partial Mash
5.00 gal Batch Size
3.53 gal Boil Size


Amount Item Price
3.00 lb Light Liquid Malt Extract (8 L) $4.50
4.00 lb Briess 2-row Pale Malt (2 L) $3.80
1.13 lb 1-Minute Quick Oats (1 L) $NaN
1.00 lb Briess Roasted Barley (400 L) $1.35
0.63 lb Briess Chocolate Malt (375 L) $0.85
0.50 lb Briess Caramel Malt (120 L) $0.57
0.25 lb Briess Caramel Malt (80 L) $0.29
1.00 oz Progress Hops (6.00 %) at 60 min $0.95
1.00 oz Fuggles Hops (4.00 %) at 60 min $0.95
0.50 lb Malto-Dextrine at 20.0 min $115.03
1.00 tsp Irish Moss at 30.0 min $0.10
1 pkgs White Labs English Ale (WLP002) $4.95


Time Step
10:00 AM Sanitized equipment
10:30 AM Heated 2.25 gal strike water to 173 F, preheated mash tun
10:50 AM Doughed in at 166.5 F, mashed at 152 F
  Heated 2.15 gal sparge water to 183 F, preheated hot liquor tank
11:50 AM Lautered 3.5 gal of wort, no SG measurement
12:45 PM Boiled, added hops on schedule
1:45 PM Cooled to 70 F
2:35 PM Fermented for 5 days, 1.056 @ 70 F = 1.057 OG (Estimate: 1.057 OG)
3:00 PM Cleaned equipment


acked to Secondary on Thursday, December 11th, 2003
This was the first time using my new racking techniques for transferring from the 10-gallon keg to 5-gallon keg. All I needed to rack was two liquid disconnects connected by a piece of 1/4" ID vinyl tubing and a CO2 tank with gas disconnect. There was lots of trub on the bottom of the primary from using the oats but the racking cane tip on the dip tube kept it out of the secondary. I added a racking cane tip to the secondary just like I did on the primary keg described above. Everything went smoothly using these methods and was much easier than siphoning from carboys.


ottled on Sunday, December 28th, 2003
After fermenting in the secondary for 17 days the Oatmeal Stout was bottled from the 5 gallon corny keg. Priming solution was gently mixed directly into the keg before bottling, a bottling bucket should probably be used instead.

1.020 FG
4.8% ABV


asted on Sunday, January 11th, 2004
This beer has a mild sweetness and big mouthfeel. It probably could have done without the Malto-Dextrine and just used the oatmeal. This is one I'll definitely make again. After a few months I noticed some contamination in some of the bottles, they are way over carbonated. Still drinkable but something happened to this batch, maybe it was due to using the 10 gallon Spartanburg Challenger 'VI' keg as primary fermenter. It may not be as sanitary as I thought.