Batch 9: English Brown Ale
 Next Batch


By Volume
Primary Secondary Keg
1.053 1.015 5.0 % ? 8 days 21 days 31 days


rewed on Sunday, July 6th, 2003
This was my first attempt at a partial mash using a 3 gallon Rubbermaid Cooler with copper manifold. Everything worked well although I may replace the stopper and tubing with a more permanent spigot. Below is the recipe, turned out to have a nice dark brown color.

Partial Mash
5.00 gal Batch Size
3.53 gal Boil Size


Amount Item Price
3.00 lb Light Liquid Malt Extract (8 L) $4.50
4.00 lb Briess 2-Row Pale Malt (2 L) $3.80
0.75 lb Briess Caramel Malt (80 L) $0.86
0.25 lb Briess Chocolate Malt (375 L) $0.34
0.50 lb Light Brown Sugar (8 L) $0.50
1.00 oz Fuggles Hops (4.00 %) at 60 min $0.95
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings Hops (5.30 %) at 10 min $0.95
1.00 tsp Irish Moss at 30.0 min $0.10
1 pkgs White Labs British Ale (WLP005) $4.95


Time Step
  Sanitized equipment
  Heated 2 gal strike water to 170 F, preheated mash tun
  Doughed in at 162 F, mashed at 152 F for 1 hour
  Heated 2 gal sparge water to 181 F, preheated hot liquor tank
  Lautered 3.5 gal of wort, no SG measurement
  Boiled for 1 hour, added hops on schedule
  Cooled to 72 F
  Fermented for 4 days, no OG measurement (Estimate: 1.053 OG)
  Cleaned equipment


acked to Secondary on Monday, July 14th, 2003
After fermenting in the primary for a long period of 8 days the English Brown Ale was racked into the secondary fermentor. It will stay in the secondary for two weeks. No gravity measurements were taken at this time. There could have possibly been more trub on the bottom of the fermentor than with and all extract batch. Color was light brown and smelled great!


egged on Monday, August 4th, 2003
After fermenting in the secondary for 3 weeks the English Brown Ale was racked into two 2.5-gallon Firestone kegs. The kegs are similar to the 5-gallon Cornelius kegs with ball-lock style fittings. They were both sealed with CO2 and one is on the top shelf of the fridge being force carbonated by a 2.5 lb CO2 tank at 12 PSI. Trub on the bottom of the secondary fermentor was minimal. About a week in the fridge and the ale should be ready to drink!


asted on Thursday, September 4th, 2003
This beer tastes great! I think the beer dramatically improved with the use of a partial mash on brew day. The beer is much lighter in color, has a better mouthfeel, improved taste, and better head retention. I think all aspects of the beer improved because of using more grain and less extract. This is definitely going to become one of my house brews. Cheers!